Sunday, December 16, 2012

Wings: still life with autism spectrum disorder

and then there is the
social problem of those
who have selfishly failed
to grow wings

and then they ask
for doors
and stairs
on the ground floor
which they do not in fact need.

all that they need
is
to grow wings.



(c) 2011 Nissa Annakindt


Aug. 17, 2011: I'm not sure what I think about this. It's kind of weak really, I'm going to let it age a few months and then tweak the words a little.


Update: I like it better now Feb 4, 2012, than I did when I first wrote it. I don't think it is weak anymore, and don't think it needs much in the way of re-writing. 

Update again: am sharing this as my Sunday poem Dec. 16, 2012. As time goes on this poem has come to express for me what it means to have Asperger Syndrome (AKA 'autism spectrum disorder'). 

Shared on Poetry Pantry #128 on Dec. 16, 2012. Visit the link to explore many poetic things....

11 comments:

Amanda Borenstadt said...

I love it!
"Squorisms" That's the permission thingy I had to type to post a comment. Hm...

wabisabipoet said...

This moved me to tears. Thanks for sharing.

Mary said...

I like the way you continue to work with this poem. Indeed the current version is VERY moving!

Kim Nelson said...

Your process... writing, checking back, considering the value... and the sharing of it is a helpful to fellow writers as your poem is illustrative of Asperger's. Thank you for sharing.

poetry-diary.com said...

I like it as it is. Thought-provoking: you are right that it stands strong as it is.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love this poem! It makes perfect sense - instead of accommodating to those who refuse to grow wings,let them grow some! Great thought!

Poet Laundry said...

I think this piece is perfect. Love what you have done.

dsnake1 said...

grow wings, and be free.
a thought-provoking piece.

nissa_loves_cats said...

Thank you all so much for the kind words.

thecheesewolf said...

great piece - loved the way you have captured so much so concisely. The wings you have grown are wonderful indeed.

John Makin said...

I think that this works because it is so concise. It leaves the mind free to fill in appropriate backgrounds.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...