Thursday, December 23, 2010

My new writing partner....

Warning: Catholic content!
I cleared out some space on my usually cluttered writing desk and made a new home for my Infant Jesus of Prague statue. Just as a reminder of Who I am working for.

The Catholic custom is to dress the Infant of Prague in various colored vestments for the different seasons of the church year. In 1961 McCall's patterns even came out with a pattern for Infant of Prague vestments.

The white vestments in the picture I bought on eBay, which is where my statue came from. But I'm making another set following the directions here: Vestments for the Infant of Prague. This page has good instructions for making vestments,
and loads of pictures of new and vintage Infant garments. (I will be posting pics of the pattern I'm going to make for the vestments as well as pictures of the Infant in them, in case anyone else is doing Infant of Prague related crafts.)

The site also has a page full of pictures of the original Infant of Prague statue, which is housed, surprisingly, in Prague. In Sept. of '09, the Pope made a pilgrimage to Prague and gave the Infant a new crown. The Infant has loads of beautiful handmade vestments donated by people from all over the world.





Retweet, reddit or facebook-share this post and win a valuable prize!
Well, actually it's a kitten. And she's so wild you'll have to come here and catch her yourself.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

www.infantofpragueprayforus.org

Nissa Annakindt said...

Thanks, Tom, I'll check out that web site.

John C. Hathaway said...

I find it funny that Protestants have songs with lines like, "If only Jesus had come as He deserved," and then get mad at Catholics for making statues of Jesus to express the same sentiment.